Anti-corruption: Prof. Sagay pushes for Magu’s confirmation as EFCC Chair

Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) Chairman, Prof. Itsay Sagay, has asked the Senate President, Dr Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan to confirm the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr Ibrahim Magu without delay.

Prof. Sagay and his committee members, who were on a courtesy call on the Senate President’s office in Abuja on Thursday, described Ibrahim Magu as a fighter who has done well fighting corruption even in acting capacity.

In his speech, the Professor of Law urged the Senate to pass the anti-corruption bill and other similar bills into law to further support the anti-corruption fight.

“We are really very happy to be here to interact with your highly exalted office. We must commend your leadership for speedy passage of the budget and the change in the nation’s calendar year being effected by the National Assembly leadership.

“We equally urge you to pass anti-corruption bills and other similar bills that would aid anti-corruption fight.

“We are calling on the Senate to consider speedy confirmation of the Acting Chairman of EFCC who has done wonderfully believing that EFCC activities would support the commitment of the 9th Senate.

Prof. Sagay explained that the nation was spending about 70% of its financial resources as running cost of governance, while calling on lawmakers to reduce the cost, saying, the remaining 30% was unsustainable.

“We draw your attention to the cost of government which is about 70% with 30% left for development, a development that affect the nation adversely.

He further charged lawmakers to ensure that their Constituency projects gets to the people. “The issue of Constituency project has been a controversial one, but I believe it is in the interest of this country.”

Responding, Senate President, Dr Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan commended PACAC for being vocal against corruption and their support for the ninth Senate.

He said external supports have assisted the lawmakers to remain focused on their legislative activities.

According to him, Nigeria’s Parliamentarian are still learning on the job, saying that, “in other countries, Parliamentarians spend over 60 years with so much experience.”

“I will not be tired of expressing my feelings and those of my colleagues for your support for this government.

He assured the Committee that the leadership had enjoyed the cooperation of the executive, thereby making them to perform optimally while insisting that the budget would be passed into law before the end of the month.

Anti-corruption: Prof. Sagay pushes for Magu’s confirmation as EFCC Chair Anti-corruption: Prof. Sagay pushes for Magu’s confirmation as EFCC Chair Reviewed by JNJ GLOBAL GIST on November 21, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

ismaeeelkwr. Theme images by Sookhee Lee. Powered by Blogger.